Teachers have become accustomed to oscillating between remote and in-person teaching. Faculties and administrators have done everything they can to make things seem normal and ensure they are facilitating excellent academic environments virtually and on their campuses.
Still, school is difficult in and of itself, so these new challenges have proved stressful for students throughout Michigan.
We are fortunate to have high-quality public institutions in Oakland and Wayne counties. However, even during more normal seasons of life, parents seek alternatives to traditional public education. The first charter schools opened in Michigan in the early 1990s. Now there are over 300.
Although charter schools are sponsored by the government, they are not subject to the same curricular restrictions as regular public schools. Charter students benefit from year-round scheduling, smaller class sizes, uniforms, and specialized subject content, all without paying tuition. However, charter schools cannot give preference to religion.
Charter schools are not the answer for parents who believe Scripture should be central to a child’s education. Proverbs 22:6 says, “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
For parents who believe the gospel, Scripture, and doctrine are pivotal to a well-rounded education, a Christian private school is the best solution.
In this article, we are discussing why private education is the right choice for your child. Sections include:
- Christian Private Schools Facilitate Spiritual Growth.
- Christian Private Schools are Statistically Safer.
- Christian Private Schools Have Smaller Class Sizes.
- Christian Private Schools Have Freedom to do What is Best Regarding Sanitation and Health.
- Christian Private Schools are Committed to Excellence.
As you read this, if you find you want more information about how your child can be part of a private Christian school in the Northville area, we would love to hear from you.
1) Christian Private Schools Facilitate Spiritual Growth
The greatest strength of Christian private education is the opportunity to make spiritual growth central to the academic process. There are several ways in which they facilitate spiritual growth:
Private Schools Make the Gospel Central
One of the key benefits of Christian private education is the opportunity to make the gospel central to a child’s educational experience. There is no greater truth than the true story of Jesus’ perfect life, sacrificial death, and glorious resurrection.
His death made atonement for our sins, and parents want their children to have every opportunity to be saved by faith in the gospel of Jesus. At St. Paul Lutheran School, our mission is to share the gospel of Jesus with our students. We want them to believe it and share it with others.
It is central to every classroom and activity.
Private Schools Teach Christian Doctrine
The gospel is foundational to all Chrisitan doctrine. As a Christian private school, not only are we able to effectively communicate the good news, but we also place emphasis on knowing and understanding Christian doctrine. Our philosophy on our website states:
“St. Paul is a member of the Michigan District of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. We believe and teach the doctrine of the Triune God. God the Father is our Creator. Jesus, God’s Son, is our Savior and Lord. The Holy Spirit calls us to faith through the Sacrament of Holy Baptism and keeps us in that faith. We accept all the Canonical Books of the Old and New Testaments as the inspired Word of God and all the Symbolical Books of the Evangelical Lutheran Church contained in the Book of Concord (of 1580) as a true and sound exposition of the doctrines of the Bible.”
Our doctrine is grounded in the Scriptures per the rich tradition of the Lutheran Church. We are grateful to pass it on to our students.
Private Schools Have Teachers Who Make Disciples
Our faculty and administrators are not only here to teach history, English, science, and math, but they are meant to fulfill the mission Jesus gave all believers - to make disciples.
Your child will benefit from teachers who point them to Jesus and are committed to helping them better follow him.
Private Schools Teach Through the Lens of a Christian Worldview
For private Chrisitan schools like St. Paul Lutheran in Northville, Michigan, being gospel-centered does not diminish our commitment to provide a high-quality academic experience. Every subject, however, is taught through the lens of a Christian worldview.
We believe that the Scriptures and the gospel provide the best explanation for how the world works. History, English, and other subjects are best understood when we see their place in Scripture.
Private Schools Provide a Christian Community
Private Christian education provides the opportunity for your institution to be a community. Christian parents, faculty, and students have similar goals as people who believe in the gospel. We can support one another and our students as they endeavor to glorify God with their lives.
2) Christian Private Schools Are Statistically Safer
Generally, schools are safe places. You can, for the most part, trust that your child will be safe and unharmed regardless of whether they attend private or public institutions. However, it is noteworthy that private schools are indeed safer in some key statistical categories:
- Since 2000, 94% of active shooter situations have occurred at public schools.
- Within public schools, 20% of public school students say there are gangs on campus. That is in contrast to only 2% of private school students reporting the presence of gangs at their schools.
- 28% of public school students report experiencing bullying. That is in contrast to 21% of private school students experiencing bullying.
- Over 40% of public school teachers say they deal with interruptive behavior issues during the school day. However, only 22% of private school teachers report they experience behavioral issues in the classroom that derail teaching.
There are several reasons private schools are statistically safer. It is likely a combination of small class sizes, individual attention, and emphasis on the gospel of peace that makes private schools less violent and more nurturing.
3) Christian Private Schools Have Smaller Class Sizes
Private schools typically have 40-50% fewer individuals in each classroom. Smaller class sizes provide schools like ours with opportunities and advantages such as:
- Individual attention for students when they excel or struggle in a particular subject
- Opportunities for students to develop strong, lasting friendships
- Fewer occasions for bullying and mistreatment
- The ability to practice social distancing when any diseases or sicknesses are spreading in Northville
Smaller class sizes are one of the key benefits of private education.
4) Christian Private Schools Have Freedom to Do What Is Best Regarding Sanitation and Health
Parents recognize that there are no one-size-fits-all solutions to education during a pandemic. Private schools are able to make decisions based on what is best for the individual students and parents within their communities.
Our cleaning and sanitation process has been and will continue to be thorough. With smaller class sizes, we are able to practice social distancing effectively. Our school has been fortunate to maintain in-person learning since the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year.
5) Christian Private Schools Are Committed to Excellence
Our school exists to glorify God. That is the role and responsibility of every person created in the image of God. That means we strive for excellence at St. Paul Lutheran School.
- Excellence in academics: We make sure our students have access to excellent teachers who are experts in their subjects. It is vital to provide high-quality academics.
- Excellence in spiritual growth: Our students have every opportunity to grow in their faith as part of a well-rounded education.
- Excellence in athletics: We emphasize the importance of growth for students who participate in athletics. Preparation and practice are integral parts of improving athletically, and in anything students do.
- Excellence in the Arts: Our extracurricular activities are designed to help students pursue excellence in service and the arts.
- Excellence in character: Whether it is in the classroom, on the athletic field, or in the community, we emphasize the importance of growing in character.
Are you more convinced than ever that private school is the right choice for your child? For parents in Northville, Michigan, St. Paul Lutheran School is here for you and your students.
In everything we do, we strive for excellence to the glory of God. If you would like to know more about our school and how your child can be part of a great private school, contact the team at St. Paul Lutheran.
We are here to answer your questions and would be happy to schedule a tour of our school.